[LAU] Streaming low-latency bi-directional audio between Android 4.x and a Linux desktop

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Sun Nov 3 04:18:45 CET 2019

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this is not quite relevant to this list.  I'll
happily take it elsewhere if this is the case.

I was wondering if someone knew of a tool that would enable me to
connect my phone (running Android 4.1, I know this is old but it's what
I have) over WiFi to my desktop (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) or my laptop (Gentoo).

I have a proof-of-concept going using JACK, icecast2 and darkiceā€¦ I was
able to get `qt-dab` to pipe audio to `darkice` and receive the stream
from my phone using `HaveRadiosion`, however there's quite a bit of
latency introduced, and it's one-way.

Fine for music, but if I'm in a VoIP call with someone and have to step
away from my desk at work I'm kinda stuck.

Both JACK (netjack[12]) and PulseAudio are able to operate over a
network.  It seems all I really need is a compatible Android application
that can link to the phone's headset and advertise that to the
PulseAudio or JACK server.

Before I go embark on a quest to scratch my own itch, is anyone aware of
software that would allow such a link to take place?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...