[LAU] Rosegarden which Distro?

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Nov 10 23:46:22 CET 2019

On November 10, 2019 10:26:22 AM HST, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>On 10/11/19 18:00, John Whitmore wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> First post so obviously a newbie question. And this, I know, is a
>question
>> without answer, as it's a bit subjective. So what is the most
>convinient
>> distro to get started on.
>
>[...]
>>
>> I've previosuly been using an Ubuntu distro which worked up to a
>point, that
>> point being 'rosegarden'. I really wanted to play with rosegarden so
>I could
>> enter musical notation and list to the results. That was a step too
>far for
>> me.
>
>As you say this is really subjective, but I'm quite happy since a while
>with Manjaro which is an Arch spin-off. Audio-wise it has realtime
>kernel packaged out of the box as well as most common audio
>applications.

I have Rosegarden making sounds just fine on Debian Testing and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I added the KXStudio repositories to both. I use Cadence for managing JACK and audio connections. I used QJackQTL for a long while but Cadence is more powerful and seems to incorporate PulseAudio better.

>Final thought, although not distro related, for your use case I'd grab
>'gernal midi' soundfont (for instance the FluidR3_GM one - also
>packaged as 'soundfont-fluid' - and connect rosegarden to it vie either
>fluidsynth (command line), or qsynth (fluiidsynth frontend), or one of
>the fluidsynth plugins.
>
>For example if I need to quickly sketch something (and am not too
>bother by quality). I fire up qjacktrl, start rosegarden and then have a
>script ready like this:
>
>fluidsynth -j -l /path/to/FluidR3_GM.sf2 -o synth.polyphony=512
>
>Of course this could be even further automated with a script launching,
>
>jack, then rosegarden, then fluidsynth :)

Yes, FluidR3 soundfont with fluidsynth is good.

I usully use a fluidsynth DSSI plugin with Rosegarden. Makes things easier for me.

I also have an external Yamaha keyboard set up and connected all the time. It's part of my Rosegarden default studio so I forget it's there. So sometimes I'll start composing something in RG and hit Play, then go, "Where's that coming from?" then go, "Oh, yeah."

---
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.