[LAU] synchronization of two RME MADI cards

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Nov 13 21:59:32 CET 2019

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Giso Grimm wrote:

> Dear linux-multichannel-audio-users,
>
> we are running a setup with two RME MADI cards to drive a system with
> approx. 100 playback channels. We are using jack2 and zita-j2a to
> achieve a sufficient number of playback channels. The sample clocks are

> On a similar setup (with two different card types) I noticed that the
> latency between the cards is fixed as long as jack/zita-j2a is running,
> however, the latency differs between starts of jack. This seems also be
> the case in the setup with two MADI cards.

USB cards by chance? This is a known problem with USB Audio. Well actually
with USB in general. I am coming to the realization USB audio devices are
not desirable for profesional audio. They are sort of the best one can get
on a limited (reasonable?) budget. It is unfortunate that USB has become
the way periferals are added on modern computers when it comes to audio.
USB is great for many other things from printers to mice, but not really
critical audio.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net