[LAU] what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

nik at parkellipsen.de nik at parkellipsen.de
Thu Oct 17 10:12:33 CEST 2019

> Well, there are a lot of opinions ...

That is quite an understatement I'd say :D

Anyway, Ubuntu Studio is probably a very good "batteries included" choice to get started.

And then, as always with Linux, it depends a bit on how much effort you
want to put into your system.

Arch has some good documentation on how to optimize your system for Pro Audio Applications, and a package group
with the "relevant" applications (including Ardour), but you still need to do the optimization yourself.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio

That being said, Arch has been working really well for me for the last years. No complaints.

And if you've got a lot of time on your hands and some Linux experience (or, even more time
and you want to gain the experience): https://gentoo-audio.github.io/audio-overlay/

Best,