[LAU] Status of a2jmidid

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Sep 19 18:14:40 CEST 2019

hi

(just realized that i replyed directly to Will and not to the list;
apologies for a dang old email use case mistake:))

On 9/19/19 3:21 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
 On 9/19/19 2:01 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:50:31 +0200
> Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 19.09.19 um 13:54 schrieb Paul Davis:
>>> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:36 AM Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de
>>> <mailto:chris at chrisarndt.de>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I find that I don't really need a2midid anymore.
>>>
>>> You need it to get accurately timed MIDI from MIDI hardware if you use
>>> JACK2.
>>
>> Interesting. Can you give a pointer to background information on that?
>>
>> Chris
>
> That's something I also found curious. Also, how accurate is 'accurate'. I'm
> using jack2 for audio (at 64 frames/48k), but ALSA for midi - all through, which
> I would have through would result in less buffering.

 let's put it this way:

 jack2 implementation to "seq" (jack-midi) driver is an old decade+  and
 quite frankly outdated and flawed re. to timing and what not

 jack1 implementation, standing for the (-X) "alsamidi" for that matter,
 is independent if not the same as to running a2jmidid in the background,
 and as infrastructure (like IaaS, eh?:) also, on jack1, that goes
 straight and _independent_ of whether you run (-d) "alsa" driver at all;
 of course, only granted to work on linux, but otoh jack2 makes it
 locked-in to the "alsa" audio diver anyhow, so you get the picture.

 nb. on jack1, selecting (-X) "seq",  as the preferred jack-midi driver
 _is_exactly_the_same_as_ running "a2jmidid -e &", so that wouldn't be a
 viable option no longer ;)

 and yes, to let my stanfd be clear enough, jack2 _shall_ make the
 "alsamidi" (internal client?) driver ported in from jack1 alright.

 for all the people that use jack2, please do and rely on good old
 a2jmidid--it just works at lot and way better than any other option (but
 jack1's;)

 cheers

--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela