[LAU] Jack-hardware bridging issue

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Apr 1 17:08:14 CEST 2020

On Wed, April 1, 2020 9:24 am, Iain Mott wrote:
> Hi, thanks, it's the "linphone-daemon" of Linphone 4.1.1 which registers
> with an Asterisk server on the same machine. The Linphone desktop app
> itself does access the PulseAudio sink in Jack with no problems. However
> I'm needing to use the linphone-daemon to which I'm sending commands
> with shell scripts via a Unix socket.

The description of the architecture on the linphone.org web page seems to
indicate that a component named Mediastreamer2 is responsible for
interfacing to the audio hardware.
That component has both ALSA and PulseAudio configuration options listed,
but the documentation tab on the web page for that component simply says
"Please refer to public header files for Mediastreamer2 documentation."

The source repository is here:
https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/mediastreamer2

I looked at the Fedora package for mediastreamer2 and there was no
configuration file, so presumably whatever upper layer is using that
library should send the configuration it wants to use.

> I'm running the daemon with a configuration file, eg.
>
> linphone-daemon --config .linphonerc --pipe linphone.soc
>
> It's reading the config, although it seems to ignore the part which
> should specify the cards used for playback, capture and ring tone. I
> should add that I've found no documentation for linphone-daemon other
> than its help file

Yes, the documentation does not seem very complete just based on a quick
look at the project web page.

> and I'm using the config format for the preferences
> file of earlier versions of Linphone. Version 4.1.1 seems to save its
> preferences in binary

Ouch, binary config files make any kind of debug a lot more difficult.
You may have to resort to looking for the config file parsing in the
source code to see if you can determine how that section of the config
file is used.

--
Chris Caudle