[LAU] Service/user not using PulseAudio

Iain Mott mott at escuta.org
Wed Apr 8 21:08:39 CEST 2020

> Simple solution: use wires. Run the output of the onboard audio to a
> spare input on the usb device and run a spare output on the usb device
> to the onboard input.

Ha! Very clever, I would never have thought of this! :-) And I may just
end up doing it (actually i already found the right lead and did). The
sound out of this laptop is pretty bad and it's only a mini-jack out,
but I only need to send a voice synthesiser through to the main
speakers, so it will do at a pinch. Just the risk that the plug pulls
out or gets noisy or something like that.

> Less simple: use networking. both pulse and jack are able to stream
> audio over the network (local host is fine) so run two instances of
> either jack or pulse and use networking to join them. I do not know
> pulse well enough to give any hints what so ever on network streaming.
> Jack would be easier. Just use netjack or zita-njbridge.

Interesting, I'll look into to this. So you think the problem exists
between PulseAudio on the Asterisk side communicating with jack on my
user's side? Makes sense.
> Also, ALSA has mixer plugins that may provide an extra phseudo device.
> I don't know how that works.

Thanks for your help.

Iain