[LAU] jitsi via jackd

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Apr 9 04:15:08 CEST 2020

On 4/8/20 3:54 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> * david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> [2020-04-09 03:35]:
>> On 4/8/20 3:20 PM, Peter P. wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I am happily using Jitsi for various tasks since a few weeks and would
>>> like to run its application image
>>> https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/releases/
>>> over jackd.
>>> Does anyone have an idea how I could best do this, also avoiding pulse
>>> audio? So far it seems that the only way is to use the alsa jack pcm
>>> plugin https://jackaudio.org/faq/routing_alsa.html
>>> or use alsa loopback device and jack alsa_in/alsa_out clients
>>> https://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge
>>>
>>> thanks for all ideas!
>>> Peter
>> Hmm, I tried it using their free website connection via Firefox. My headset
>> worked fine with the browser and jitsi. I have PulseAudio set to use
>> jack-sink, that's the only way I can get sound out of Firefox.
> You might want to look into the apulse wrapper as well.

I tried that, too. Didn't work at all.

>> I haven't tried the app image - I've had no luck running application images
>> on my system. I've installed their native Linux client but haven't tried it
>> yet.
> It turns out a few minutes ago that they just introduced a fatal bug for
> their AppImage https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/issues/244
> which might affect you as well.

I've never been able to make any AppImage work on my system. The *best*
results I've gotten was a locked-up app with a blank screen. The rest of
my Debian system was fine. So I've just been leaving AppImages and
Ubuntu's Snaps alone.

> Anyone having ideas about having chromium use jackd then besides the
> above?

Hmm, haven't run Chromium on any system at all. Ideas about Peter's
request, anyone?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."