[LAU] Using Linux as an active crossover - and more!

Michael Jarosch riotsound at riotmusic.de
Tue Apr 21 13:56:06 CEST 2020

Am 20.04.20 um 23:45 schrieb Jeanette C.:
> Apr 20 2020, Michael Jarosch has written:
>> Unfortunately, I don't know professional grade audio devices offering 2
>> balanced (XLR) input and >4 (preferable 6) balanced (XLR) output ports.
> I'd second the Scarlett 18i20, there apparently are drivers now, even
> for the latest generation.

I guess, I'd be more precise in my needs to prevent starting a flame war
about the best sound device on linux… :)

I'm searching for a more DIYish sollution. It needn't to be in a case.

Anyone knows the HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO XLR
<https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-pro-xlr/>?
Unfortunately, there is no input and as far as I know you can't cascade
it to a 4/6-output device. But something like that would keep the price
low. Of course, using Linux and not being dependent by a company is a
value for itself. But it doesn't make sense to me using a sound device
that alone exceeds the price of a brand new DBX DriveRack.

A LADSPA virtual crossover network doesn't need much performance. I like
the idea giving obsolete audio devices and PC hardware a new life.
Compactness and quietness, on the other hand, does matter. Combining a
Raspberry Pi 4 with an Echo Audiofire 12 would be a killer.
Unfortunately, there's no GPIO2Firewire…

By the way: In the home setup for my music production PC, I'm using a
RME HDSP 9652 for a 4.1 setup. The satellites have no passive crossover,
so I need 9 outputs and 9 amps. Carla's my virtual crossover network,
I'm using Pere Ràfols Soler's EQ4Q for filtering.

I'm thinking of a "speaker controller" for places where I work that want
to improve their sound infrastructure. Being cheap but powerful / high
quality is the challenging way to go, there… :)

Greets!
Mitsch