[LAU] Normalize to -1db peak

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Tue Apr 21 16:49:25 CEST 2020

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 16:28:18 +0200
"Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com> wrote:

>* Atte Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> [2020-04-21 16:20]:
>> Thanks, that seems to be just perfect!
>>
>> Always running dev stuff in a separate corner of my hard disk :-)
>>
>> It seems I should stop using normalize-audio and go with my brand new
>> python wrapper of the above...
>Yes, especially when considering the manifold processing algorithms and
>file format conversions built into SoX.
>
>cheers, P

Just an aside here. I'm in contact with a number of people who who work in
digital recording extensively. Their recommendation is that you should regard
your peak level as at least -3dB due to the potential of inter-sample
peaks. With the headroom available from even 16bit audio, you can go down to
-10dB and still not have any noise issues. To really appreciate this check here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/mike-skeet-media

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk