[LAU] Normalize to -1db peak

Atte Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:50:15 CEST 2020

Hi Will!

Very good point. In this case I'm working with a client (you know the ones
that pay real money) and I'm just complying to his specifications.

Good to know -3db is safer, will stick with that in my private work.

Thanks
Atte

Den tir. 21. apr. 2020 kl. 16.50 skrev Will Godfrey <
willgodfrey at musically.me.uk>:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 16:28:18 +0200
> "Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com> wrote:
>
> >* Atte Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> [2020-04-21 16:20]:
> >> Thanks, that seems to be just perfect!
> >>
> >> Always running dev stuff in a separate corner of my hard disk :-)
> >>
> >> It seems I should stop using normalize-audio and go with my brand new
> >> python wrapper of the above...
> >Yes, especially when considering the manifold processing algorithms and
> >file format conversions built into SoX.
> >
> >cheers, P
>
> Just an aside here. I'm in contact with a number of people who who work in
> digital recording extensively. Their recommendation is that you should
> regard
> your peak level as at least -3dB due to the potential of inter-sample
> peaks. With the headroom available from even 16bit audio, you can go down
> -10dB and still not have any noise issues. To really appreciate this check
> here:
>
> https://www.soundonsound.com/people/mike-skeet-media
>
> --
> Will J Godfrey
> http://www.musically.me.uk
> Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
> Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.

Atte

http://latestyoutube.a773.dk