[LAU] Best collaboration software...

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Fri Apr 24 22:08:03 CEST 2020

On 03.04.20 11:38, Giso Grimm wrote:
> On 03.04.20 10:27, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>
>> On 4/3/20 9:43 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>>> I'm sure there are many other workflows and related
>>> platforms/software... :-)
>>
>> On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
>> saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
>> session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
>> software (Kxstudio for instance).
>>
>> Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.
>
> last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
> audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
> round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
> which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
> settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
> channels. On both ends we have a rather good internet connection.

For our early music ensemble we developed this project further into a
headless remote collaboration/rehearsal box. With this setup we can now
achieve latencies (mic to headphone) in the order of 40-70ms, depending
on the network latency. I uploaded a small description and all until now
unpublished code here:

https://github.com/gisogrimm/ovbox

(work in progress, we use it almost every day)

-- Giso