[LAU] some recent work

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Apr 29 18:19:29 CEST 2020

On 4/29/20 9:26 AM, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey Dave,
> thanks for sharing these pieces. I particularly like the four chords,
> for it's pleasantness and ethereal tones.

Thanks for checking out the music, Jeanette. Four Chords came about when
I played a simple harmony exercise through a recently released
polyphonic version of a sawtooth oscillator module that emulates the
JP-8000 Super Saw. The patch is rather sparse, with a single instance of
the oscillator. Its output is shaped with an ADSR envelope generator
then routed to the mixer. A measure of sonic sweetener is added with
global reverb and chorus.

An external MIDI sequencer connects to VCV Rack by means of a module
that converts MIDI to control voltage values, continuous and discrete.
The sequencer thus provides voltage per octave values for frequency
material, gates for the EG, continuous control values for the master
output level, and the clock for a beat-synchronized LFO used to modulate
the mixture of the oscillator's sawtooth waves.

> VCV rack sounds like such a
> fun software, for all kinds of genres and experiments. Pity that part of
> its magic lies in its highly graphical nature. :(

VCV Rack has me thinking a lot about Csound and its modular nature. The
workflows are conceptually complementary, and I think it would be good
exercise for me to work with Csound at the text level to make something
similar to what I make with VCV Rack.

> Interesting and eclectic choice!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette