[LAU] help request: RT audio checkup and xorg's xruns

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 06:37:09 CEST 2020

I looked up your Asus on their site. I found no information about the
Intel graphics controller there. I know many OLD Intel graphics
controllers used shared system memory for video - that's slower than
dedicated memory as part of the controller. I don't know if that Intel
controller has its own memory or not.

The NVidia GTX 850M has its own dedicated video memory, much faster than
system memory.

But I really don't know if video memory has anything to do with getting
xruns when running videos. One possibility might be to switch to using
the Nouveau driver. According to its specs, the NVidia controller has
hardware support for decoding a lot of video codecs. Which means the
graphics adapter would be handling the decoding. That might or might not
fix the xruns.

I don't know how to do that. I found this page about it:

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallNouveau/

I'm guessing that if installing or reinstalling the nouveau driver
doesn't change the setting, you can change it using the instructions
here "Under Configuring the X Server", it has a conf file to add to the
Xorg configuration:

/etc/X11xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf

Section "Device"
     Identifier "n"
     Driver "nouveau"
EndSection

My laptop has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 in it but I haven't tried using
that yet. I'm not sure Nouveau supports the GPU I have.

David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."