[LAU] Predictable Audio Interface Names (was: Re: MIDI-controller treated as audio device)

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Wed Dec 9 06:17:51 CET 2020

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 11:49:30AM +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> Started my machine and today it seams everything's doing fine, again.
>> Can't tell you why it didn't work, yesterday, despite of rebooting
>> twice.
>
> The OS assigns the sound devices an index in the order they get
> connected. This can vary per boot and depends of course on what sound
> devices are attached at boot time. You can make this more
> deterministic by forcing indexes for the sound devices. On my system I
> have a file /etc/modprobe.d/audio.conf with the following content:
>
> options snd-hda-intel index=10 vid=0x8086 pid=0x1e20
> options snd-usb-audio index=0,5 vid=0x0424,0x09e8 pid=0x3fb7,0x007c

The problem of device assignment varying per boot also, historically,
used to affect network devices.

In recent years, that problem has been solved (at least for network
devices, in at least some distros) by the "Predictable Network Interface
Names" initiative:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

This avoids the need to manually assign device names/indexes to solve
for boot variance.

Does anyone know: is a similar initiative underway for audio devices?

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.