[LAU] Pulseaudio: connecting output to particular jack outputs

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Dec 28 02:04:17 CET 2020

Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> writes:

> Am 27.12.20 um 22:58 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> "channel names".  So probably things like system:playback_17 and
>> system:playback_18 rather than just 17 and 18.
>
> Nope, tried that too before my last mail, with the system part and
> without, with and without quotes around the option. Same error. Please
> test commands before you post them :)

I'd have to wire up quite a bit of hardware for that.  I also read:

    All device driver modules support the following parameters:

[...]

    channels

        Audio channels (defaults to 2)

    channel_map

        Channel map. A list of comma-separated channel names. The
        currently defined channel names are: left, right, mono, center,
        front-left, front-right, front-center, rear-center, rear-left,
        rear-right, lfe, subwoofer, front-left-of-center,
        front-right-of-center, side-left, side-right, aux0, aux1 to
        aux15, top-center, top-front-left, top-front-right,
        top-front-center, top-rear-left, top-rear-right,
        top-rear-center, (Default depends on the number of channels and
        the driver)

Trying to secondguess one's way from around there, one could try options

channels=18 channel_map=aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9,aux10,aux11,aux12,aux13,aux14,aux15,left,right

and hope that this causes Pulseaudio to (essentially) skip over the
first 16 channels and associate left&right with the last two channels.

Frankly, Pulseaudio belongs to a group of applications where I find the
documentation (if you can even find it) really enfuriating because they
do some sloppy sort of "cleverness" and then put down a half-baked
equivalent of a dirty notepad that explains close to nothing except to
the person writing down the notes.

--
David Kastrup