[LAU] Computer lockup

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 15:31:35 CET 2020

On 14/02/20 15:18, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 14/02/2020 13:21, David Kastrup wrote:
>> I think there are some emergency SysReq key combinations.  No idea
>> whether they need some special enabling.  They bypass user space and
>> might be worth a try for getting a somewhat more regular shutdown.
>
> Alt + SysReq + REISUB (aka "Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken")
> should reboot the machine.

On some distributions I think you need to actually enable it. [0]

Also there's a quite authoritative comment about the fact that 'S' and
'U' should not be recommended any more on 'modern' systems [1][2] and
that it should now be 'REIB' (Reboot Even If Broken)

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_shortcuts#Kernel
[1]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=209c3aa7f0df27feb824c179a763ace3e667c8ba
[2]