[LAU] notes regarding a new installation

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Feb 18 00:27:23 CET 2020

On 2/17/20 7:21 AM, mickski 56 wrote:
>> Two days configuring this machine. Why I still don't usually
>> recommend Linux to normal users.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> dp
>
> I wouldn't bet on everyone and their grannies getting a windows install
> right in any amount of time either.

In my experience:

1. Ordinary users don't install Windows, either. It came on their computer.

2. Ordinary users don't have pro-level audio requirements. They want to
Skype and play YouTube videos. They use their computer's built-in sound
capabilities, such as laptop speakers or headphone jack.

3. If they're also casual gamers, maybe they feed their sound output to
external speakers. If they're more serious gamers, they have that plus a
headset.

My mother, a great-grandmother, skipped step 1 and bought an all-in-one
iMac.

My sister, the grandmother, has two degrees in computer science and is a
programmer and patent holder in the communications equipment field. (If
you made a phone call today, it probably went through something she
holds a patent on.) I don't believe she has ever installed Windows,
either. Last time we visited her, she didn't even have a computer in the
house. (Or an Internet connection.)

Her son has a five-year degree in engineering technology. He has
probably installed Windows from scratch at work and helped create custom
install images. At home? Probably just uses whatever Windows was
installed on their computers when they bought them. He's in the
generation that probably does 99% of its personal computing on
smartphone or tablet.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com