[LAU] notes regarding a new installation

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Feb 19 08:43:08 CET 2020

On 2/18/20 5:18 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> On 2/17/20 10:41 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
>> Greetings !
>>
>> After many (too many ?) years using Fedora 23 I decided/admitted a
>> system upgrade was long overdue. I chose Ubuntu 18.04 simply because I
>> recently installed it on a Toshiba Satellite laptop - a fun story
>> itself - and am satisfied with the results, especially after
>> installing some Ubuntu Studio components. Anyway, that machine is now
>> a smooth-running gun, so I figured, "Why not put Ubuntu on the desktop
>> iron ?". And so begins the tale...
>
> I may have struck a nerve.
>
> Addressing certain points:
>
> 1. Nope, I'm not a normal user. According to some, I'm not even a normal
> person.

But you play one on TV! ;)

> 2. Admittedly, the actual use of a Linux system - or any other - isn't
> necessarily problematic so long as the user is in fact simply running
> programs, without concern for system configuration and administration.
> Yes, my 10-year old grandson also "uses" my Linux machines, which is to
> say that he knows how to start Minecraft and run a browser.

My daughter started using computers when she was 2. She's now 35. Don't
ask her to fix anything on any kind of computer - she's an artist! She
married a geeky IT guy, so he takes care of their computers.

> 3. My tale had really only one problem with Linux, i.e. the
> creation/configuration of the installation media, and that problem was
> due to a motherboard issue with the media creation software. Using
> different (more up to date?) software resolved that issue.

I get Unetbootin from their site. But my new laptop has a 4K display and
the Unetbootin GUI is so tiny as be nearly unusable. Thanks for the
reminder about using dd.

I think one thing Unetbootin can do is convert a CDROM-only ISO into a
bootable USB. Maybe that's what throws some motherboards? But I've used
it on about 13 different motherboards here (including 5 or 6 different
laptops) without any problems. One of the laptops was even a Toshiba.
There was time when Toshibas were recommended as good Linux machines
because their boards were "bog standard" with nothing exotic about them.
Don't know if that's still true or not. I went with Dell XPS because
Dell has support for Linux on them.

> I'm still working on a few minor problems with Ubuntu, nothing serious.
> I think the audio configuration can be improved a bit, but performance
> is certainly adequate now.
>
> Best regards to all, thanks for all the replies.

And thank you for your musics!

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com