[LAU] Creating a personalised HRTF?

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Mon Jan 20 22:29:14 CET 2020

Jan 20 2020, Fons Adriaensen has written:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 04:20:29AM +0100, Jeanette C. wrote:
>
>> is there any (convenient) way to create a personal HRTF (head related
>> transfer function)?
>
> Straight answer: no, repeat no. There are some commercial
> systems (Android apps) claiming to do this, using e.g.
> pictures of your head and ears. AFAIK, none of them really
> work, it's all hype and easy money.
Hm, the earfish.eu sounds interesting, since they sort of use the
measurement technique used at unis, only somehow backward. Certainly a
fun idea.
> There are other aspects of binaural reproduction that seem to be
> much more important - can't go into the details, but room sound
> and correct head movenent tracking are among them.
Very true. I've been working with Csound HRTF opcodes, including the
ones with a built-in reverb (basic room modelling). Though I haven't
found anything to get good headtracking and use it with a proper 3D
scene.

Best wishes and many thanks,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Where are you now, what have you found
Where is your heart, when I'm not around <3
(Britney Spears)