[LAU] Ambisonics: Which order fits my project?

Michael Jarosch riotsound at riotmusic.de
Sun Jul 5 10:31:51 CEST 2020

Hi!

Speaking about Ambisonics, I have one question regarding the different
orders you might want to use, which I couldn't found to be answered in
the (not too much) media I read and watched about this topic:

Which border do I have to reach in my project that I should consider
switching to higher (second, third or more) order ambisonics? Is it the
number of output channels? Or is it: Always use the highest order you
can afford?

According to this video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4oE3i2tjyA>(,
which I haven't watched the whole length,) at 23:14 ff it's about
frequency response and compensation - and there it seems to be better
using lower order.

It would be interesting making a direct comparison between first and
third order to hear if it's worthwhile. But without the equipment… So,
this question goes to the pros (hoping not to start a flamewar…)
There is another video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFuKaKbfxls> I
found. Without ever being able to hear higher order ambisonics I wonder
if such things as fifth order is more or less something like "look, what
I can do" comparing the time and effort with the actual improvement in
audio quality… Sorry, if I step on someone's feet…

Greets!
Mitsch