[LAU] Ambisonics microphone for Linux

Michael Jarosch riotsound at riotmusic.de
Fri Jul 24 11:37:58 CEST 2020

Am 21.07.20 um 14:15 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:13:37AM +0200, Michael Jarosch wrote:
>
>> Coresound "Tetramic" seems not to be available in germany.
> You can buy it directly from Core Sound. You'll have to pay
> some taxes probably.
>
> If you are using linux, you don't need a plugin, Tetraproc
> (jack client) and Tetrafile (file processor) are free.

Thanks, Fons!
It's always good to read from someone who knows what matters.

Still, I decided different from your recommendation…

As I'm going on holiday, the next week, which I thought would be a great
opportunity to do some outdoor recording, I was getting into time
trouble to order a Tetramic from Core-Sound. So, I ordered a Røde
NT-SF1, which comes in a nice set with (kind of a) shock-mount and a
windscreen-combo that fits my usage. All in all this will cost me 200€
less and it will be send to me in time.

I know, the Tetramic has proven to reach excellent quality, but still,
there are some design decisions that also pushed me to the Røde solution:
No balanced output of the microphone itself. (Only behind the PPAc.) And
the use of that PPAc, at all, which makes it quite complicated to use in
comparison to other mics.

I don't know, if the Røde will come with compensation files, but still,
I guess, my main interest is getting as noiseless as possible and with
the Røde and Sound Devices combo, I think, that's a way to go. (The Zoom
H3-VR's performance in that area almost shocked me.)

Greets!
Mitsch