[LAU] XanMod kernel

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:04:50 CEST 2020

Thanks for bringing this up, I wasn't aware that there were prepackaged
"high performance" kernels available.

I briefly tried the xanmod-rt kernel on a laptop that has given me a lot of
xrun grief.
This was kubuntu 20.04 and the first kernel I tried was xanmod-rt,
installation was very easy so I can recommend people trying it out,
switching between kernels during boot is usually simple.

Anyway, this kernel did not complete the boot sequence so .. not that
great. Then I tried the xanmod-rt-edge (or something along those lines). It
does boot but sadly does very little to improve the xrun situation.

This is anecdotal and I'm inclined to think there is something seriously
wrong with this laptop which makes it inherently rt-unfriendly. But I will
do more tests as I'm basically a bit disappointed with the realtime-ness
I've been able to achieve on various hardware lately. I really thought it
would be easier to achieve reliable performance at, say 44100 and 128 frame
buffers.
It's been a long time since I tried any competing operating systems so I
might be wrong and assume too much, but I'm pretty sure OS X can do this in
a quite stable way.

Regards,
Robert