[LAU] XanMod kernel

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Jun 4 19:14:53 CEST 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020, nik at parkellipsen.de wrote:

> Guess I just got too used to the Arch stock kernel (preempt but not RT)
> which performs reasonably well for my applications and on my hardware.
>
> But that of course might vary between distributions.

Hardware is a more likely reason for differences. If you read the Intel
documentation, they do mention "low latency" for various parts of the MB
chip sets. They call 30ms low latency. So as a "PC" comes out of the
box... it needs tweaking for reasonable for audio low latency. It means
trying every USB port for the audio device (most are USB which is also not
designed for low latency). It means choosing USB ports for things like
mouse, printer, external drive, etc. that does not conflict with that
"good" USB port. With a desktop, an extra PCIe USB card is an option,
laptops are more luck than anything. There is no plug and play solution
for low enough latency for soft effects or synth. For recording with a
DAW, low latency is not really needed. Assuming external monitoring which
most audio devices provide.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net