[LAU] XanMod kernel

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Sat Jun 6 19:31:31 CEST 2020

On 6/6/20 9:47 AM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> Hello Roger,
>
> On 06/06/2020 13:59, Roger wrote:
>> It is configured with CONFIG_HZ=250 and I'm wondering would it be worth
>> recompiling it with CONFIG_HZ=1000 as recommended several times in the
>> wiki article?
>
> I don't think that's really necessary anymore as almost everything in
> Linux audio land that needs a high resolution timer uses the snd-hrtimer
> kernel module these days which doesn't rely on this kernel setting.
> Correct me if I'm wrong though, timers have always been a blind spot in
> my understanding of how the kernel works with regard to real-time audio.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

Hi all.

My understanding is that ALSA placed a hard-coded limit on the
  snd-hrtimer of around 1024Hz a couple of years ago.

The snd-hrtimer used to be able to be set very high frequencies
  until one day it wouldn't. I contacted ALSA and they told me
  about this new hard-coded limit.

This sent me scrambling to re-order the midi timer preference
  in MusE because it seems the RTC timer is now the only timer
  that can give you anything above 1024Hz.

Have I got this correct?

Tim.