[LAU] Echo Audiofire12 units available

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 01:55:12 CEST 2020

On 6/7/20 4:33 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 6:27 AM Mac <macdroid53 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If this is not allowed, board ops please feel free to remove.
>>
>> I'm guessing, since firewire support in Linux is moving into the sunset, that this may be of more interest to the Apple/Protools people. But, Linux is my focus, so I figured I'd offer here in case there are still some Linux holdouts. ;)
> You have this backwards.
>
> It was Apple that announced no more firewire interfaces on their
> hardware. There is no active development of firewire support for macOS
> whatsoever. It was Apple that basically shut down any future for
> firewire by announcing their complete abandonment of it. Nobody makes
> new firewire audio interfaces now, and that's entirely at Apple's
> feet.
>
> On Linux, where the support for firewire audio interfaces has been a
> bit patchy, things are actually slowly improving, and you will
> continue to be able to use firewire audio interfaces  on this platform
> for as long as you wish.

Just checked here in Debian 10. It still has FFADO and related stuff.

Maybe time to give up on Ubuntu? When I got my current Dell, Ubuntu
repeatedly failed to install successfully on it. Debian went on with no
problems.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."