[LAU] Simple Computer Speakers

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Tue Jun 9 17:12:37 CEST 2020

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 10:23:28AM +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 08:29:09PM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
>> Is there anything I need to look out for when searching for a pair of
>> US $20 USB connected computer speakers. This is for background audio,
>> not recording nor monitoring. I'm mostly interested to know how
>> careful I need to be to make sure USB speakers work on Linux.
>
> Almost all USB audio interfaces are class compliant these days, which
> means they should work on most operating systems with the standard
> drivers.

As Jeremy says, class-compliant USB speakers should work fine with
Linux.

Regardless of operating system, one disadvantage of USB speakers
compared to conventional speakers (ones with analog audio inputs, e.g.
via a 3.5mm jack from a soundcard) is that the former might be
vulnerable to BadUSB whereas the latter would not be:
https://www.wired.com/2014/10/code-published-for-unfixable-usb-attack/

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.