[LAU] Reverse-engineering MIDI software

Daniel Appelt daniel.appelt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 08:17:03 CEST 2020

Hi Caelia!

Am Di., 23. Juni 2020 um 07:50 Uhr schrieb Caelia Chapin <crc at caelia.net>:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:41 PM David W. Jones <gnome at hawaii.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Would Arturia's MIDI Control Center run under WINE?
>>

> No idea. I don't use WINE, as I have had nothing but horrible experiences
> with it in the past.
>
> But in any case, I do not want to use either a VM or WINE on a regular
> basis; I want to find out what MIDI messages the Control Center app sends,
> so I can perform its functions under Linux.

I was using a regular Windows machine using USBPcap and Wireshark to do a
similar job. I put down some notes on how to capture the raw data in this
document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ypQkMvLO4bLtitymOyH06OrK4obAxps7OTFmCKdcPUc/edit?usp=sharing

Wireshark has a filter for sysex messages which is very useful in analyzing
the captured data.

Apart from that the sysex specification (also reverse engineered ) for the
Arturia Beatstep might be of interest to you:
https://www.untergeek.de/de/2014/11/taming-arturias-beatstep-sysex-codes-for-programming-via-ipad/

All the best,
Daniel