[LAU] Ambisonics microphone for Linux

Michael Jarosch riotsound at riotmusic.de
Thu Jun 25 14:59:36 CEST 2020

Am 25.06.20 um 10:25 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 11:39:18PM +0200, Michael Jarosch wrote:
>
>> Maybe Fons' TetraProc can also be used with other microphones?
> Yes. I've used it with the SPS-200 and the Ambeo.

I love the linux way using one (professional grade) tool for different
hardware!

Still, there's one point that makes me prefer an all-in-one recording
solution Zoom is offering: How is gain calibration working with an
ambisonics mic like the Tetramic and f.e. a recording setup I have with
a Presonus Digimax FS and a RME HDSP 9652? It can be nasty gaining a
stereo mic correctly - normally I'm going in front of it, shouting,
clapping and snapping around in the middle axis and compare the two
level meters till the gain is about the same. I can't do that with
tetrahedral mics, can I?

I do have an old 90dB sound level calibrator, but it's built for
measuring mics with 1/4 inch capsule - besides the fact that it is not
built for comparing different capsules and therefore only offering one
single frequency (1KHz). Is this the kind of way to go (with - don't
know - a pink noise sound calibrator) or do the ambisonics pros have
other tricks?

The Zoom does make it easy, here. Guess, they calibrate the input gain
for each mic as the final step before packaging it for shipping. The
downside of the Zoom will be that they won't offer a calibration service
if the microphones alter their frequency or gain response over time. So:
Electronical waste, sooner or later. (Sooner in comparison to
multi-part-solutions…)

Greets!
Mitsch