[LAU] realtimeconfigquickscan - how up-to-date is it?

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Thu Mar 5 19:01:51 CET 2020

Hi list,

another general linux audio question:
I've been using realtimeconfigquickscan [1] for years to tweak systems
for better audio. Lately I wonder if the suggestions it gives are all
still valid and up-to-date with current operating system defaults, SSD
memory, etc.
Anyone else using this script and what are your observations?

For reference my output looks like this:

$ perl realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl
== GUI-enabled checks ==
Checking if you are root... no - good
Checking filesystem 'noatime' parameter... 5.3.18 kernel - good
(relatime is default since 2.6.30)
Checking CPU Governors... CPU 0: 'performance' CPU 1: 'performance' CPU
2: 'performance' CPU 3: 'performance' CPU 4: 'performance' CPU 5:
'performance' CPU 6: 'performance' CPU 7: 'performance'  - good
Checking swappiness... 10 - good
Checking for resource-intensive background processes... none found - good
Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... >= 524288 - good
Checking access to the high precision event timer... readable - good
Checking access to the real-time clock... readable - good
Checking whether you're in the 'audio' group... yes - good
Checking for multiple 'audio' groups... no - good
Checking the ability to prioritize processes with chrt... yes - good
Checking kernel support for high resolution timers... found - good
Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... not found - not good
Kernel without real-time capabilities found
For more information, see
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#installing_a_real-time_kernel
Checking if kernel system timer is high-resolution... found - good
Checking kernel support for tickless timer... found - good
== Other checks ==
Checking filesystem types... ok.

I use a lowelatency kernel, not a rt-kernel hence the "not good" there.

[1] https://github.com/raboof/realtimeconfigquickscan