[LAU] USB audio hotplug

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Mar 10 02:14:09 CET 2020

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> On 07.03.2020 15:35, Mac wrote:
>> I have used UbuntuStudio for quite a while. And, when IO plug in a USB
>> audio device it magically appears on the port list (for example in Carla).
>
> > I find myself attempting to set up a Debian 10 system and would like
> the same to happen.
>
> It is the 'autojack' script from the UbuntuStudio Controls package that
> does this magic. Maybe it is possible to install that package in Debian,
> or you could just try to update and install that script manually.

You can either remove Cadence which, because it does the same kinds of
things, does not work at the same time. Or you can hack autojack to remove
most of it's funtionality except the part that monitors the system dbus
for USB audio device plugin events and runs zita-ajbridge to connect it to
jackd that Cadence has already run. Or create your own script that does
this.

That is only if using zita-ajbridge does what you want. It will not change
the jack master to the USB device when it is plugged in unless the whole
of studio-controls is used. As far as that goes, this second option is the
better of the two options in my opinion.

Note that if you only use the utilities Cadence ships with and not Cadence
itself... and never run Cadence.... feel free to hack the Studio-controls
package to remove the part that does not allow the two to be installed
together or unpack the thing with an archive manager and install the bits
you want manually. However, it is unlikely the author of either package
will support that kind of use.  :)

It should be possible to run cadence and Studio-controls together if
Studio-controls was to detect Cadence as being used and stayed out of it's
way mostly. But that has not been done (and is not likely).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net