[LAU] [Staff] Inter_agency Call for Artist-in-residence

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Mar 18 12:34:02 CET 2020

https://interagency.iem.at/artist_residency.html

[Apologies for cross-postings] [Please distribute]

Inter_agency is an artistic research project funded by the Austrian
Science Fund (PEEK AR 483) and hosted at the Institute of Electronic
Music and Acoustics (IEM) of the University of Music and Performing Arts
of Graz. The focus of the project lies in the compositional exploration
of intelligent agent-based systems and the application of machine
listening and machine learning in interactive electro-instrumental
compositions.
For our 2020 residency program, we seek project proposals that add new
perspectives to our research topic. We invite composers, sound artists
and performers to submit proposals related, but not limited, to one of
the following topics:

- Interactive improvisation and performance systems
- Applications of AI and machine learning in composition and performance
- Machine listening based systems for generative music - Real-time
composition
The selected applicant is expected to work on-site at the Institute of
Electronic Music and Acoustics (IEM) in Graz on a composition,
installation or performance which will be presented at the IEM during
the residency. The artist-in-residence will be part of our research team
and will receive support from the two main artistic researchers, Artemi
- Maria Gioti and Gerhard Eckel. The selected applicant is also expected
to provide a documentation of the work developed during the residency,
the format of which is open (conference publication, online
documentation, research report, media release etc.)

What we offer:

- A shared work space in one of our offices
- 24/7 access to our facilities (according to availability) including
office spaces, studios and a concert venue equipped with a 3D higher
order Ambisonics system and a 3D motion tracking system
- Support by staff and faculty members
- A net salary of approx. EUR 1300 per month, as well as health and
accident insurance
- Fees for up to 2 musicians involved in the realisation of the proposed
project (for available instruments see Schallfeld Ensemble)

Note: Housing, travel and material costs related to the submitted
project will not be covered. The residency can not be split in shorter
periods.

Start date: October 1st 2020 (negotiable)
Duration: 4 months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 30th 2020

The host institution:

The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics (IEM) of the University
of Music and performing Arts Graz is one of Europe's leading research
institutions in the fields of computer music, acoustics and audio
engineering. In addition to its versatile research background, covering
fields from spatial audio and sonification to algorithmic composition
and interaction design, the host institution will provide its
state-of-the-art facilities both as lab spaces and concert venues. For
more information on the host institution, please visit the IEM homepage.

Eligibility:

Any composer, sound artist or performer working with interactive or
agent-based systems, with or without prior experience in machine
learning is eligible to apply. Applications can be submitted by
individual artists only. KUG students, faculty and staff members and are
not eligible to apply for this residency.

Application guidelines:

To apply for the residency please send the following material to
mailto:interagency at iem.at by May 30th 2020:

- A completed application form - A project proposal (1000-2000 words),
explaining the relevance of the proposed project to our research topic
and including an abstract of approx. 150 words.
- A short CV (max 2 pages) including selected works and publications
- Links to 2 previous works (audio or video recordings, scores, sketches
etc.)

If you have any questions, please address them to the same email address.

The selected applicant will be notified by email by June 30th 2020