[LAU] Ambisonics for newbies - ambdec

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Mar 24 23:44:18 CET 2020

Michael Jarosch <riotsound at riotmusic.de> writes:

>> And so what ambdec does is decode one of the ambisonic formats into a
>> particular speaker setup.
> That's right - I just have to use a configuration in ambdec that matched
> my speaker setup. I expected a configuration called "quadrophonic", but
> I found a "square".

Beware about channel order.  I have just added two rear speakers
to my 2.4m^2 desk[1] and am now also playing with quadrophonics.
First thing I found was the -audio-channels=quad option of mpv.  This
will automatically route 6ch audio to a quadrophonic setup.  Pretty
neat.
This assumes the following channel order: fl-fr-bl-br.
However, the square preset from ambdec assumes fl-fr-br-bl.
I guess you can just edit that file to swap the two rear channels to
adapt to your channel order.

[1] I put together 3 IKEA Linnmon corner tables and 1 normal 120x60cm
table which gives me a 240x240cm workspace with a inner circle with
diameter 120cm to sit in.
Finally, all my computer/home studio related stuff is in one place,
and it doesn't feel crowded anymore.
And since this thing is a square, putting a monitor at
each corner was just the obvious thing to do.  Three sides of the square
are dedicated to computer, turntables, and modular synth, respectively.
Each of which has its own stereo pair of speakers.
And when I feel like it, I can use the whole thing in quadrophonic mode.
Finished just a few days before quarantine, perfect timing. :-)

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕