[LAU] Video card for audio (silent, low latency etc)

Jannis Achstetter jannis_achstetter at web.de
Mon Mar 30 18:48:25 CEST 2020

Am 30.03.20 um 01:39 schrieb david:
> On 3/28/20 11:43 PM, Ben Bell wrote:
>> I've been using cheap nvidias with nouveau for a while but performance of
>> certain operations (scrolling, dragging/resizing windows) is painfully
>> slow,
>> particularly since I made the jump to a 4K monitor.
>>
>> Has anyone got some success stories?

So, I'm running a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX590. It's got two fans,
however they are usually completely turned off. So what I'm trying to
say is that even those (more or less powerful) cards can be completely
silent if you don't request performance (that usually is heavy OpenGL or
Vulkan usage) from them.

When I connect my 4K TV via HDMI to the card (and don't do games), it
also doesn't turn on the fans.

However, once it is running full load, it gets quite loud. So, assuming
you are "only" doing desktop / audio work with it, it might stay silent
for you as well.

>From the driver side, Radeon cards usually are as easy to handle as
Intel cards.

> That might mean a motherboard replacement. I don't know if the Intel HD
> 630 is available as a standalone video card.

Currently, Intel doesn't provide any standalone video cards, to no HD
630 or similar as PCIe add-in. They will soon launch those products, though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Xe
Looking at their power requirements, I doubt that they will be passively
cooled.

	Jannis