[LAU] How to prevent applications from changing my mic level?

S. sb56637 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:19:52 CEST 2020

Jacek Konieczny wrote
>> So you seem to be suggesting that Pulse is directly responsible for
>> manipulating the levels? I assumed that it was Chromium and its spinoffs
>> (Chrome and Electron apps), using an AGC function specifically as part of
>> the WebRTC protocol:
>
> That is probably the source of the level change requests, but it is
> PulseAudio that forwards this to the hardware (via ALSA drivers).

Ah OK, that makes sense.

> Without the direct hardware access PulseAudio can still fulfill the
> request, but only by the digital signal manipulation which should
> be less invasive.

So it looks like the core of the problem is that the only way to disable
PulseAudio's direct hardware access is via /usr/share/ . I wonder if I could
submit a bug/feature request for PulseAudio to optionally pull its profiles
from /etc/pulse/ ?

> I guess it might be possible to stop PA from using ALSA mixer controls
> even without unloading ALSA support all together.

This would be ideal. Any tips on how to do that?

--
Sent from: http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/linux-audio-user-f5.html