[LAU] Midi over Internet

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu May 14 17:19:42 CEST 2020

On Thu, 14 May 2020, Atte Jensen wrote:

> I assume he's referring to this
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
>
> Den tor. 14. maj 2020 kl. 16.15 skrev Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net>:
>       On Thu, 14 May 2020, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>
>       > What are the possibilities for me if I want to sent midi data
>       trough a
>       > crossover-cable in a local network?
>
>       Not sure what you mean by a crossover cable here but probably
>       not whatever
>       I am thinking :)

That was what I would think of as a crossover cable. That would make for a
very small LAN of only two machines. IN that case latency would be all in
the two ends, either QmidiNet itself or jack. Somehow the way local
network was described made me think it was larger.

Most NICs and switches do not need crossover cables any more as they auto
detect/reroute internally. It only takes one end to do this. None of the
newer switches I have seen have an "uplink" socket any more.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net