[LAU] Physical distance performance with Linux?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri May 15 22:58:04 CEST 2020

On Tue, May 5, 2020 2:43 pm, Christoph Kuhr wrote:
> Well, actually using the same ISP in the same city does not
> make a difference. My mate and me have both
> Unitymedia/Vodafone cable network access. We had the same RTT
> as with the other one at another ISP with ADSL.

I have been looking for information on the latency associated with the
cable modem.  So far this is the only information I found, but it is not
clear whether this refers just to the latency on the cable side, or also
includes the latency of converting from the Ethernet side to the cable
side:

"The average DOCSIS upstream latency for best effort traffic has been
measured to be 11-15 ms with the potential of a significantly higher
maximum latency up to 50 ms under medium to heavy channel utilization."

So already a significant latency, and potentially high latency variation,
before even getting to the first router.

It is impressive that you have found a way to play live together with that
connection.

--
Chris Caudle