[LAU]  Re: Physical distance performance with Linu x ?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue May 19 15:50:40 CEST 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 4:47 am, Christoph Kuhr wrote:
> Does it matter whether it's only the cable side or the
> transition from ethernet to cable?

Only to the extent of estimating whether that is the actual range of
latency to expect from your house to the upstream router, or whether there
is additional latency added on to that as a minimum.

> But I can confirm ~35ms on the first hop with my cable access...

Is that 35ms one way, or round trip?  Is that the value reported from
traceroute?  I'm looking at that now at my house, but I'm not familiar
with how to interpret the numbers, I will need to study the man page a
bit.
But if the interpretation is as obvious as it seems then it seems like the
system in our neighborhood has not bad latency after the latest upgrades.

> Where did you find that info?

Google search found a document at CableLabs titled "DOCSIS Technologies
for Mobile Backhaul" discussing considerations for using cable based
network as the connection for small cell phone stations.  Similar
considerations for conversations as for music, if the latency is too long
you begin to speak over each other, conversation timing is awkward, etc.
so seemed like a relevant document.
https://www.cablelabs.com/docsis-mobile-backhaul-white-paper
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/1697621/DOCSIS-Technologies-For-Mobile-BackHaul-May-2018.pdf

best regards,