[LAU] Getting Rhythmbox to Appear in qjackctl

Samir Parikh spython01 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 18:29:56 CEST 2020

Len Ovens wrote on 5/20/20 3:13 PM:
> On Wed, 20 May 2020, Samir Parikh wrote:
>
>> How do I get Rhythmbox (GNOME application similar to iTunes) to appear
>> in qjackctl?
>
> Rythumbox must have the ability to open as a jack client built in.
> Therefore, the place to check would be in the
> setting/preferences/options/whatever dialog and see if it is possible to
> set audio out to jack
>

>> - installed qjackctl and its dependencies on Ubuntu 16.04
>
> 16.04 is kinda old, the version of jack in ubuntu20.04 has had some
> important bug fixes.
>
>> - installed pulseaudio-module-jack
>
> This package comes with three modules:
>   - module-jackdbus-detect
>   - module-jack-source
>   - module-jack-sink

Thanks for the note.  I wanted to give a quick update on my situation.
I'm not familiar enough with JACK yet to determine whether or not your
advice still applies.  If is still does, I'm not sure I follow
everything so may have some follow up questions.

Again, I'm trying to combine the music playing from Rhythmbox with my
voice from the microphone and send that out to a meeting service like
Jitsi (or Zoom).

With Rhythmbox running and playing music, I open up qjackctl and the
"Connections" window looks like this:
https://imgur.com/x6cDx8d

In PulseAudio Volume Control, the "Playback" tab looks like:
https://imgur.com/gYK2agU

The "Output Devices" tab looks like:
https://imgur.com/FP3vUnN

The "Input Devices" tab looks like (2 screenshots):
https://imgur.com/0TyBgKi
https://imgur.com/AB9wf5u

With this setup AND with JACK running, I can hear the music through my
speakers!  (Minor victory, but I'll take it!)

> There are in ubuntu 16.04, both jackmixer and idjc which will both be
> able to act as a mixer with this setup allowing setting each level
> separately and offer more control. neither one of these applications are
> available in ubuntu 20.04 due to libs they rely on being deprecated. I
> am hopeful they
> will be re-added in the future (but am not holding my breath). zita-mu1
> may also work for you as a mixer. A plugin wrapper like Carla could be
> used to provide level and eq control as well (or jack client versions of
> plugins for that matter)
  I just need help on:

How to I combine my voice from the microphone and then have that serve
as the "input" to Jitsi or Zoom.

Is that where these mixers come in or can I do through directly through
qjackctl and PusleAudio Volume Control?

Samir