[LAU] Getting Rhythmbox to Appear in qjackctl

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun May 24 00:21:11 CEST 2020

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 3:38 PM Stuart Longland <stuartl at longlandclan.id.au>
wrote:

> On 23/5/20 2:29 am, Samir Parikh wrote:
> >> How do I get Rhythmbox (GNOME application similar to iTunes) to appear
> >> in qjackctl?
> >
> > Rythumbox must have the ability to open as a jack client built in.
> > Therefore, the place to check would be in the
> > setting/preferences/options/whatever dialog and see if it is possible to
> > set audio out to jack
>
> I think we're flogging a dead horse with Rhythmbox.

This is false.

I've already tried to point out the basics but I guess my hints weren't
taken:

* RB uses gstreamer for audio I/O
* gstreamer has a native JACK module
* you need to configure gstreamer's JACK module (the buffer sizes in
particular need attention)
* you need to tell RB to use the module (or tell gstreamer to do that all
the time)

It has nothing whatsoever to do with PulseAudio, which only plays a role
when RB is using gstreamer's ALSA module, which picks the default device,
which is PulseAudio on many systems.,