[LAU] Sysex with Jack MIDI

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Wed Nov 4 07:14:39 CET 2020

On 11/3/20 11:36 PM, Tim E. Real wrote:
> On 11/3/20 11:31 PM, Tim E. Real wrote:
>>
>> Tested MusE with Jack 1.9.14:
>>
>> Successfully sent a 1536 byte sysex from one MusE instance to another.
>>

>> Has Jack midi sysex length finally improved? Yay!
>>
>> It sure didn't seem to be working years ago when I did the MusE sysex
>> stuff.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Tim.
>>
>> MusE sequencer project.
>>

> "Bonus question: is it possible to be warned when jack is dropping sysex
> messages?"
>
> I forgot to mention, in MusE we call jack_midi_event_reserve(),
>
> �and if it fails, look for this message:
>
> "MidiJackDevice::queueEvent ME_SYSEX: buffer overflow, sysex too big,
> event lost"
>
> I did not see the message in the test above. IIRC years ago it would
> happen.
>
> Tim.

And... sorry, a couple of more points:

The test above was at 128 jack buffer size.

Also, a slightly embarrassing but relevant gory detail about MusE:

If latency correction is enabled (see Settings), be aware of a caveat:

It works great! But an unfinished detail means that the first brief

 �moment of audio or midi playback will NOT be heard.

This is because I will need to queue a small segment of playback

 �BEFORE the transport starts. That's not done yet.

It means if you press play and there is a sysex or any other event

 �placed right at that exact starting point, it will NOT be played.

Therefore, please place the red 'play head' cursor slightly BEFORE

 �the desired start point, say about one quarter bar or more,

 �before pressing play. All should be fine after that.

Thanks.

Tim.