[LAU] Sysex with Jack MIDI

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Nov 4 08:59:42 CET 2020

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 21:29:28 -1000
david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>Just wondering, but maybe there are hardware limitations at the
>receiving end (for hardware synths) that limit the size of a sysex? Or
>the particular synth involved requires some additional setup to receive
>sysexes?
>
>I know my little Yamaha keyboard supports sysex of some sort but have
>never bothered with it.

There are limits on some hardware synths.

Very many moons ago I wrote SYSEX software for an Acorn Archimedes to support a
couple of synths I had at the time. One of them transmitted SYSEX in a
series of quite small chunks, the other did the whole lot in a single stream.
Both comply with the MIDI standard, but you have to send back in the format you
receive, and as far as I recall there was no way of knowing this in advance.
This was with MIDI 0 so may have changed since then.

Both synths were Yamaha ones, and the biggie was "All voice and multi" -
basically the entire synth setup!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk