[LAU] LAC2020

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu Nov 12 10:49:39 CET 2020

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 03:31:33PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2020, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> On Wed, November 11, 2020 8:43 am, Will Godfrey wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a reasonably inexpensive USB webcam known to
>>> work with debian (or derivatives).
>>
>> My old Logitech works fine with Fedora.  I do not have a newer
>> Logitech, so I can only speculate that the newer models would likely
>> use the same USB driver interface.
>
> I think most of ours came from the local "Dollar store" at $2 or $3
> each. My wife uses hers all the time with family that is 8 time zones
> away. Also, most point and shoot digital cameras just show up as web
> cams if plugged in via USB and my DSLR works just fine via gphoto2
> with v4l2loopback (though it goes through batteries as the camera does
> not access USB power)

Yes, these are all good options.  Last time I checked (which was years
ago and the situation should only have improved since then), as long as
the webcam is a USB class compliant one, which most of them are, then it
should work with Debian and derivatives.

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.