[LAU] JACK and Sound OpenFirmware?

Kai Vehmanen kvlists at nosignal.fi
Thu Nov 19 20:23:30 CET 2020

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020, Mario Lang wrote:

> Kai Vehmanen <kvlists at nosignal.fi> writes:
>> I don't think the constraint makes really sense, but that's what it is
>> now (for all systems where 192 is the minimum period size). Luckily
>
> Thanks a lot for chiming in and shedding some light on this issue.
> Also thanks for volunteering to get it fixed.
> I am looking forward to that fix landing on my system.

I'm happy to report back that all the changes required to address this are
now merged upstream and queued for 5.11 kernel. This affects all SOF ALSA
drivers (Intel and non-Intel) and with the fix in, JACK works with all the
common 2^n period size settings. Do note SOF FW's default scheduler is
timer tick based and has a 1ms tick interval, so this might not be ideal
for all JACK usages (see commit messages for details).

    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/sound.git for-next

[1/2] ASoC: SOF: relax PCM period and buffer size constraints
       commit: 9983ac49b7db34258facf47439463e96522e1d5a
[2/2] ASoC: SOF: Intel: add hw specific PCM constraints
       commit: caebea04b9125c677e6e747793fbc7fab077727b

Br, Kai