[LAU] Qtractor and soft synths

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sat Nov 21 12:38:00 CET 2020

 wrote:
> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 18:58:04 +0100 Hermann Meyer <brummer- at web.de>
> wrote:
>
> Am 20.11.20 um 17:40 schrieb David Sumbler:
> > In Qtractor I can play the tracks through Timidity.  The Track
> > dialogue
> > offers me sounds from the FLuidR3_GM soundfont and also soundbank-
> > emg.
> > But these sound identical, and I think only FluidR3_GM is being
> > used,
> > which I have set as the default in Timidity.
> >
> > I would like to use other sound fonts (e.g. Virtual-Playing-
> > Orchestra3), but I have never worked out how to achieve this.
>

> Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3 is in the sfz format, to use it you'll
> something like this:
> https://github.com/sfztools/sfizz
>
> For using other sf2 files you may checkout this one:
> https://github.com/brummer10/Fluida.lv2

Thank you for those suggestions.  I have now managed to get Fluida
installed (in addition to WhySynth).  I also now have the relevant
directories showing up in Qtractor's View_Options_Plugins window, and
both items show up in the MIDI/Instrument section of Track Properties.

However, even if I select an instrument from one of these, I still do
not hear the appropriate sounds.  I assume that I should be able to
connect WhySynth or Fluida to Qtractor in the Connections window; but
as I mentioned in my previous email, they don't show up there.

Using the MIDI tab of Qtractor's Connections window I have "Midi
Through" and "Qtractor" in the Readable column, and "Midi Through",
"Timidity" and "Qtractor" in the Writable column.  If I connect
Qtractor to Timidity, I hear the FluidR3_GM sound regardless of which
Instrument I have selected in Track Properties.  If I disconnect
Qtractor and Timidity, then I hear nothing at all.

I am sure there must be something very basic I am missing here, but I
have no idea what to do next.  How do I get the Instrument I specify
for a track in the Track Properties window actually to sound when I
play the track in Qtractor?

David