[LAU] Qtractor and soft synths

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sat Nov 21 17:20:52 CET 2020

On 11/21/20 11:38 AM, David Sumbler wrote:

> Using the MIDI tab of Qtractor's Connections window I have "Midi
> Through" and "Qtractor" in the Readable column, and "Midi Through",
> "Timidity" and "Qtractor" in the Writable column.  If I connect
> Qtractor to Timidity, I hear the FluidR3_GM sound regardless of which
> Instrument I have selected in Track Properties.  If I disconnect
> Qtractor and Timidity, then I hear nothing at all.
>
> I am sure there must be something very basic I am missing here, but I
> have no idea what to do next.  How do I get the Instrument I specify
> for a track in the Track Properties window actually to sound when I
> play the track in Qtractor?

you probably miss that on qtractor track properties, the Instrument
definition only relates and only to instrument channel presets *names* :
it translates into MIDI bank_select+program change messages to the
target instrument, external or plugin.

again, it only gives you the human intelligible names for banks and
programs: they not necessarily translate into that particular sound
being selected unless of course the target instrument or plugin
recognizes it through its implementation.

so, selecting "FluidR3_GM" as instrument definition for a given track
will only make sense if that track and channel is driving a
soft-instrument (eg. Timidity) or plugin that implements a SF2 engine
and has the FluidR3_GM.sf2 loaded at that moment.

hth.
cheers
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela