[LAU] Calculating absolute played(!) volume

Roger gurusonic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 02:02:56 CEST 2020

On 16/10/20 5:54 am, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey,
> for a project I am wondering, if the absolute output volume of a pair
> of headphones, directly connected to a soundcard, can be gained from
> the settings?
>
> I have a Delta 1010. Inside alsamixer the volume for the DACs is set
> in dB. Is there a straight relationship between these settings and a
> connected output device? My pair of headphones, IIRC, have a
> resistence of 60 Ohm.
>
> Any help is appreciated. A good pointer will do. If there is a method
> without special measuring equipment, I'd be happy. If not... So be it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Testing labs would use a dummy head with embedded calibrated microphone.
I doubt it would be possible to do it accurately otherwise. You may get
an approximate measurement simulating with a home made setup similar to
that.

Any results you get would be only for those particular headphones; even
with the same impedance two different sets may have drivers with vastly
different efficiency.

Personally I just use a level which is comfortable although even that
can be deceptive. I recently bought a pair of Austrian Audio Hi-X55
headphones and they are so clear I often find I have them rather loud
without realising, having been used to my older Audio Technica cans.

Cheers

Roger