[LAU] [OT] Future of Music Distribution (and examples?)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Sep 2 20:06:22 CEST 2020

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020, Louigi Verona wrote:

> I would like to discuss a couple of things here: the illusion of a music
> release and distribution platforms.

All very good points. I could add a few points:

1) Todays music favours an unknown musician making a backing track for a
newly known singer. This is what I hear most on the radio. The singer
seems to be the new talent for the month and when they can ask for more
money... the next one steps up. In general I can not tell one from the
other. The fact that it has airplay indicates to me that the marketing is
done by a "label". A band, even less a new band, has almost no chance. Yet
I enjoy the interaction a band brings. Marketing is important and worth
paying for in this case I think... in the same way having a second party
do mastering can make a difference.

2) Superstars are a myth. They are top to bottom marketing. I have not yet
been anywhere that does not have local talent as good as anything that
comes to town for a one nighter at high price or has airplay. Calling a
small number of people "super" is just a way of getting the best return on
investment. Go watch/listen to your local talent, the cover charge is
worth it. If you as an artist are not doing anything live, you should be
(we are talking about singles and albums here not sound tracks or jingles
which are different animals).

Anyway, anyone like me doesn't know the first thing about marketing...
even enough to know if someone offering that service is any good or not.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net