[LAU] Hardware timers?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 4 06:54:51 CEST 2020

On 9/2/20 2:40 AM, Roger wrote:
> On 2/9/20 9:53 pm, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 2. September 2020, 07:18:39 CEST schrieb david:
>>> I don't remember what I did on my old i7 to keep it on performance. One
>>> involved having to push the performance setting to EACH CPU/thread, I
>>> think that's covered on that link somewhere. May have been a script. I
>>> don't remember how I did it, but it stuck between boots. I think I
>>> actually tried three different things, so I really don't know which one
>>> did the trick.
>> As far as I remember for SysV intit systems the way to make the
>> scaling governor persistent across reboots was to put a command into
>> /etc/init.d/boot.local or some other boot init script. The command
>> would vary with distros, whether they used cpufreq-utils or the newer
>> cpupower suite for this. For cpupower, the command would be
>> "/usr/bin/cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance".
>>
>> Systems using systemd would accordingly need a service file added as
>> /etc/systemd/system/cpupower.service, and possibly enabled before it
>> would be run at every boot. I post mine, which I remember having
>> created myself, but I don't remember where I got it from. Anyway this
>> works well for me:
>>
>> ----
>>
>> [Unit]
>> Description=CPU powersave
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=oneshot
>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>
>> ----
>>

> That's good info. I've noticed performance governor doesn't fix the
> cpu to max frequency like it used to but varies a little eg.
> 2.8-3.17GHz on my nominal 3.16GHz cpu. Still doesn't decrease right
> down as it does with ondemand governor. Scaling driver is still
> acpi-cpufreq though.

Pretty much all modern processors (especially Intel ones) have built-in
stuff to keep them from overheating. I think the old days of setting the
processor to run at max clock are pretty much gone. Unless you're
liquid-cooling in a desktop case with really good case ventilation.

The i9 in my laptop can nominally hit 5GHz. Best I've done so far - with
an intensely-multiprocessing application - hit 4.6GHz. I think it also
hit 200F deg, too.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."