[LAU] Need MIDI keyboard for Zoom Class

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Sun Sep 20 15:47:20 CEST 2020

Am 20.09.20 um 08:29 schrieb Jeanette C.:
> You can make JACK and PulseAudio play together, which opens the field
> wide. This is from the ArchWiki, but the methods work for other
> Distributions too:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Examples#PulseAudio_through_JACK

This section of the wiki page should really be updated. The first method
listed there, of setting up the bridge between JACK and Pulseaudio, is
IMHO not really the best.

The author of Cadence itself does recommend not using it anymore and
there is a stripped down replacement in the pipeline.

As it is now, it executes a custom script to set up the JACK-Pulseaudio
bridge, which bypasses the global and/or user configuration for the
Pulseaudio modules "module-jack-sink" resp "module-jack-source". When it
starts the pulseaudio daemon itself, it uses a custom configuration for
it, which is different from them global or user one.

This may lead to confusion when trying to change the Pulseaudio
configuration, because changes to the global or user configuration might
or might not take effect when using Cadence to set up Pulseaudio.

In short, I recommend the setup described in the section "The manual
sink configuration method", which is really the least manual of all,
because, once configured, you just start JACK (jackdbus) via your
preferred method (jack_control, qjackctl, jack-select, etc.) and
everything else happens automatically (i.e. Pulseaudio relinquishes
access to the audio device and the Pulseaudio-JACK bridge is set up and
it's ports are connected).

Chris